Mellows getting harshed right and left today. Well, OK, left, mostly. Seems that dizzying sense that the world is just not as one imagines it is a new sensation to some folks. Are my values, my dreams, my feelings not shared by all good people? Am I not on the Right Side of History? Could I be Wrong? (1) I’m here today to say: it’s worse than that. In no particular order:
- Organic food is a luxury item, like driving a Porsche. Organic food isn’t better for you. In the lab, it’s indistinguishable from other commercially produced foods. More often than not, pesticides cannot be detected in either case, and, when they can, they’re found as often on the organic stuff as any other food. You may like the taste of organic food (I sometimes do) but that’s no better than somebody spending the money to drive a fancy sportscar – because, face it, they are more fun to drive and let everybody see how cool you are.
- Further, growing organic food requires up to 5 times as much land and other resources, since pesticides and fertilizers allow much more food per acre to be grown. So – you really want to either a) put vastly more land into production (you know, plow prairies and cut down forests and jungles) or b) kill off a large number of people?
- Probiotics is a fraud. Not a drop of evidence they do anything for you.
- If you’re miserable, it’s not because your chakras need adjusting. That it also a fraud. Reiki isn’t going to help – fraud. Acupuncture – placebo. And so on and so forth.
- Your misery is also not the result of giant mystical forces. History doesn’t have a side.
- Life is never fair. If you have a computer and are reading this, you are among the .01%, blessed beyond the imaginings of 99% of all people who have ever lived.
- Electric & hybrid vehicles are also a fraud. If you bought a used Hummer and drove it into the ground, you’d be using fewer resources than if you bought a new Prius or Tesla – because the Hummer is already built, so there’s no factory, no mining (especially no mining of the rare earth metals used in all that ‘green’ crap), no manufacturing overhead – you’re just burning gas. But the Prius and Tesla need to get built and sold, which, in addition to involving factories and resource consumption directly, would not happen at all if it weren’t for all the economic activity being taxed to subsidize their creation – activities that generate waste and consume resources. So, while the production and operation of an electric or hybrid car might – *might* – consume less energy and fewer resources than the production and operation of a similar traditional car, it can’t compete with just buying a used car, where the production costs are all sunk already. Which can’t compete with taking the bus. Or riding a bike. Or walking.
- There’s a reason why the purveyors of all the above things and services can be found predominantly in Progressive strongholds like Berkeley, San Francisco, and Boston – that’s where the gullible rubes that buy this crap live in the highest concentrations.
Have a nice day!
- OK, just kidding – that’s a bit too far – right and wrong are such a primitive concepts, far beneath the ken of those of high and lonely destinies.